Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Breast Milk Bags and Nipple Butter

I know I just wrote the whole "holy shit, she's pregnant" post a couple days ago and I honestly don't anticipate having something new to discuss everyday.  However, there have been a lot of things that have gone on and my mind has turned inside out about a hundred times since Carly broke the news to me eleven days ago.

First, I'm still kind of in freak out mode.  I can't stop worrying about things ranging the whole spectrum from the current health of the tiny legume-sized being inside of my wife to how the hell we are going to afford college for him/her.  Inside that spectrum of worries includes things such as: what kind of crib do we get?, will he/she be smart?, I hope he/she isn't an ugly baby/person, will this person become a productive member of society? among countless other worries.  Close friends and family have told me that worry kind of goes away when the baby is born and that you kind of begin to live more for the moment at that point.  We will see.

Carly, however, is super freaking excited about everything associated with being pregnant and thus becoming a mommy.  The first time she threw up in the morning after finding out she was pregnant she was bragging quite smugly about her morning sickness.  I told her she was being psychosomatic and that her throwing up was just the result of her wanting to throw up.  This didn't go over well for me.

Also, Carly keeps rambling about stuff I really don't care about.  For instance, just today, she was talking ad nauseam about breast milk bags and nipple butter.  She then proceeded to pull these bags out, show them to me, and then explain to me that she could put her milk inside these bags and then freeze the bags with the milk.  To this very moment I don't have a clue how this works and why people want to do this.  How does the milk get in the bag?  Is there a pump?  Does she just do it herself?  She doesn't expect me to partake in this, does she?  Why freeze it?  Does it have an expiration date?  Does the butter have anything to do with this stuff or was it just random rambling of hers?  Regardless, EWWWWWWW!!!

Another example of her excitement is that the very night, the very exact night, we found out we are pregnant  Carly felt it necessary to buy two big things of diapers and 2 boxes of baby wipes.  I thought this was kind of weird but not weird enough to make any kind of point of to her about (I'm learning to pick my battles).
***side note: am I even supposed to say that-"we are pregnant"?  I feel its kind of weird-she's the one going through the physical "stuff" not me but every time I say she is pregnant people correct me and say we are pregnant and that having a baby is a "team effort"-anyways, back to focus...***

Obviously our family and friends are excited too.  A great example of this is the night after we got the diapers and wipes we went to visit Carly's grandparents.  We both were kind of nervous about going there; we weren't really sure how they would handle the news.  Well, it turns out that her grandparents seem almost as excited over the news as Carly herself was (I was and still am in a kind of a "holy hell!" mindset so my excitement level is still a little tempered).  The next couple of hours were filled with Carly sitting at the dining room table next to her grandmother and grandfather sharing some really touching moments mainly while they were thumbing through a book of baby names together.  About halfway through the night it was pointed out that her grandparents were going to become great-grandparents to our baby and with that realization their eyes just lit up with joy.  It really was a neat thing to see.  Oh, and by the way, as of right now, we like the names Wyatt for a boy and Brooke for a girl.

There have been a lot of really cool moments that we have shared with our family and friends since the breaking of the big news.  In future posts I anticipate sharing more of those stories.  However, right now I feel it necessary to share some things that I have found funny to this point in the pregnancy.

One thing that I've been doing to piss her off (playfully, of course) is to, anytime she asks a favor of me, tell her that she's "barely even pregnant" and that she should just do it herself.  I don't really know why its funny to me, I suppose its a masochistic tendency of mine because she really doesn't find this response nearly as comical as I do (she's promised to shank me each time I tell her that now).

Another stupid little thing that makes me giggle is the "v-look" Carly gets every time someone sees her for the first time since she announced the pregnancy.  People always go from looking at her face, down to her stomach, then back to her face.  They always want to check to see if there's a baby bump.  There's no baby bump yet people!  She's not that far along yet (dare I say, "barely pregnant").

Anyways, I thank you for continuing to take this journey into and through fatherhood with me.  Friday we have our first pre-natal appointment and I will be sure to update you all on how that goes and what we find out from it.  As we get further along in the pregnancy I anticipate posting pictures (in particular sonograms) and possibly even videos to this blog so be sure to look for that.  In addition, I have created a Twitter account devoted completely to this blog and becoming someone's daddy.  The Twitter handle is babyBlogED and updates I make from there go directly to this blog in the right-hand margin.

---Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment